Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Elk Hunt

This is what we drove all the way to the state of Colorado to hunt. We stopped at the Elk farm in Ackerley, Texas to take a good look at this magnificent animal.

He carried this hay away with him hanging on his antlers for a snack later. All he had to do was stick out his tongue and rake it in.

This was the country we hunted. So pretty. The only thing wrong, the Elk did not move during the day. Of all the hunters that were in this part of the unit we were in, only 3 bulls were killed. A nephew of one of the men I was hunting with killed a 7x7. A huge animal. It dressed out at 700 lbs.


A natural lake located high in the mountains. We were at 11000 ft. It was warm the whole time. If you could walk and then jump the elk up in the thick forest and make them run, you might get a shot.



I tried waiting for them to come to the watering holes . They probably came but late after the sun went down.


Sorry about the position of this picture but it was a very pretty shot of the leaves changing colors.




It was hard to hunt while looking at the country.


So pretty. It looked like God dipped his paint brush in gold paint and let it drip in certain spots of red.
Well, I look forward to next year and I hope that The Lord will allow me to go, again. I met some good men on the Mountain.We prayed every morning for a safe hunt and an enjoyable time. God honored our prayer. I will post some pictures of those men another time.
God Bless and have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty pictures daddy. I can't wait to see more of them in person. I'm so glad you got to go. I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! I want to go up there when the aspen are changing sometime. My brother went up to hunt elk this past week and got stuck in a really bad blizzard. He says they barely got out of there with their lives. So thankful you were not up there last week! Have a blessed day and thanks for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete